Tuesday, 15 September 2009

Start a band, write a fanzine, have a conversation and Simple Is Better.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Today, I found out that The Steal are breaking up after their show with Paint It Black this Friday in Kingston.

Now, this sucks on two accounts: they will never write nor release another record again; I’ll never get to have loads of fun seeing them live again, let alone seeing them AND Dillinger Four in the same night on the dates that were planned for later this year.

My friend Sean rang me earlier and we spoke about it for a while. They’re his favourite band too. We agreed that hoping for The Steal to continue on with what they’ve done from the start is like hoping for a old, diseased dog to not die.
You don’t need to tell me that that’s probably inaccurate, but maybe you’re not lucky enough to feel that way about one band.

The Steal taught me that taking on the duty of being in a band, no matter how incredibly rad you are, does not mean taking on the seemingly obligatory responsibility to spend every minute of your day on the internet or on the phone trying to push said band further and further.

It’s well known to anyone that knows anything remotely about the band that introduced me to a majority of bands I listen to now that they have no struggle in that small corner of their lives.
People give them stick for that. I admire it. Despite my frustration.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I saw The Steal six times before making the effort of checking their self-titled record – one of them supporting Lifetime the time I mentioned in my first post.
Simply because I didn’t enjoy them.
That quickly changed, bigtime.

The old bus journey I used to endure to get to sixth-form at Chesham High School, the 353, used to take the exact same time that ‘The Steal’ used to: 20.9 minutes, start to finish.
That was a good start to the day.



Anyway, earlier this year I wrote a song called ‘Simple’. I think I stole the idea from The Steal. It’s about however much the wallpaper around you changes, your feet will always stay in the same place. Orwell would slap me. That righteous dude definitely does not like them metaphors.
I was round my friend’s house in Watford when he hit record on his laptop and I played it. You can download that here - http://rapidshare.com/files/274753519/Grow_Up.aif.html

In a bit.

“I want to reclaim all the reasons I once fell in love with a SOUND, NOT a fashion statement.”

No comments:

Post a Comment